Sunday 5 January 2014

What is Derry-LondonDerry to me ?!?!?

At this point i should probably discuss my intial ideas, but you can see all of them in sketch book, with additional hand written notes, so it seems quite silly typping it now only for you to re read it later in th book.
However at this point in my sketchbook as i had the trips to Austins finished and initial ideas developed to an extent, i took a page to reflect. Which im going to jot down here, just for self reflection so i can get feedback from others reading and of course personal review, allowing myself to take a step back and see what my work looks like at this point, and of course where it is and should be going.

Ive lived and studied in Derry -LondonDerry now for just over a year now, So i dont have a massive deep connection to the city that many who have lived in or around Derry their whole lives. Theres only so far research will bring me when it comes to knowing the history. However i think when it comes to envoking memories through an object like this project, theres a big different in KNOWING and FEELING.

Ive played about with some ideas of an ornament or object built up of objects representing memories of Derry.
(More specifically my own memories)
That where ive come to this idea, a model, a person, similar to the ones seen to the left 'holders of memories' . not just holders, but a protector. a person an anonymous person built up of the objects that represent memories of time gone by.

Im unsure if they should be generic memories of Derry and its past or infact my own few but amazing memories. Make it more personal.
Then again the objects that would represent my memories of Derry wont all be obscure objects, they could be landmarks as well, which means they might envoke other memories to other people. making it more relateable hopefully.

From here i want to not just design a model but also brainstorm and design further objects that could be on or make the character.
I want to show my whole short year in Derry.
So i also must figure out a way to visually represent the actual time, a year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment